Constant awareness and information overload
The first topic we want to discuss is handling of e-mails.
A few companies started programs to reduced flood of internal e-mails an permanent awareness of employees.
‘We cite an article from Atos SE: ‚Close to 200 billion e-mails are daily sent.. A success? Out-of-date-modell?’
That has happened:
Handling of permant increasing data, especially at work, demands of a new structure for digital communication
In 2011 Atos started a project named ‚zero-e-mail’ with the target objective to reduce number of internal e-mails.
In a change management programm the integration of new alternative and collaborative instruments was decided, such as
- Instant Messaging
- Digital platform for document administration and management
- Introduction of the enterprise social networks ‚bluekiwi’
You will find more details about: http://de.atos.net/de-de/home/uber-uns/zero-email.html
Big german companies like Daimler, VW, Deutsche Telekom and many more, started ‚digital detoxification’ programs.
Measurements for example:
‚VW closed joint operating agreements that end of working day no emails will be transferred to office mobiles between 6:15 pm and 7:00 am.’
Deutsche Telekom executives have committed, that employees will not receive work related emails after end of workday, during weekends or during vacation.
What impacts have agreements mentioned above for us as project managers – how to best deal with information overload?
- Work agile, because agile teams take short short coordination and decision paths
- Shared knowledge database, built from retros from previous projects, will provide advice for new projects
- Using new communication forms like ‚Circle Way’, will help you with consensus building and prevent additional validation loops via e-mail
- Empowered project teams can make quick on the spot decisions
- Internal project ressources fully integrated in the project team can decide and communicate quicker
What comes to your mind reading our statements?
Please write us about your ideas and experience. We look forward to discuss the topics with you. The approach everbody will benefit from.