PRIMAVERA – A PROJECT MANAGEMENT TOOL
by Julia Ezennaya
Primavera software is an important tool used by successful project teams in various organizations to plan, monitor and control all the projects in the portfolio using time schedules, budget, cost and resources, while ensuring the goals and objectives of the project are met. The tool is designed to manage projects, especially large scale and complex projects. Some of the benefit of the primavera tool are:
- Enhanced visibility & quick accessibility – to see what’s happening with a project at any time and to keep track of the process.
- Better forecasting & monitoring – updated information enables you track and report on project progress promptly, as well as manages time and resources.
- Responsibility – identify the person responsible for a task, to limit scope under-lap or scope over-lap.
- Data Capture & Trends – monitors the trends of the information accurately; project time, cost and performance data that is stored centrally
- Project/Programme Integration – integrates the contribution of all the project members and projects to the organization respectively.
- Gant Chart – shows what, when, who and where of the project
- Estimation – projects can only be managed when it is estimated and measured
- Critical Path management – Activities with zero float determines the duration of the project, this helps to monitor any delay to an activity on the critical path to prevent the delay of the overall project.
- Reporting – information stored during the project can be used to evaluate future projects.
Julia holds a MSc degree in Project Management from The Robert Gordon University, and a BSc in Geology and Mining. She has a certification in Primavera P6 (planning and control) and previously worked at ConocoPhillips UK as a Geo-data Coding Specialist