Stress management for project managers?
Before we are going to introduce tools and techniques on how to reduce stress or stay in balance in spite of stress, we address the question: Do project managers experience more stress?
- Projects normally have deadlines and therewith everyone involved experiences time pressure.
- Project managers work in the middle management, they have a project sponsor who defines the objectives and a team that needs to be coordinated, controlled and also motivated at lot of the time. In many organizations the PM is not the line manager of the team members.
- In addition there are many further stakeholders that need to be continuously managed and informed.
- Projects are new and complex and therefore involve changes; changes might lead to stress.
- In many projects not only the working hours but also the workplace is very flexible. Working at different hours, travelling a lot and not having one dedicated work space could be stressful for some people.
And this is exactly the point: for other people flexible hours, travelling, changes and challenges are not considered as stressful but rather as an opportunity for development. Those people would be very bored working at the same office from 9 to 5 every day. Therefore they enjoy working in projects. But attention! Especially people who enjoy their work a lot, can burn out – therefore stress management for project managers.
More about stress management for project managers: http://topconf.com/bucharest-2015/trackevent/stress-management-for-project-managers/